Ettleton Old Kirkyard
|Location: One mile south of Newcastleton overlooking the Milnholm Cross.|
Numerous old crosses and shafts with other masonry lie inside the railed enclosure. There is a very tall obelisk commemorating the shooting of an Armstrong by the parson of Walton in Cumberland in the 19th century.
This was the burial place of many Armstrongs over the centuries, including some of the earliest clan chiefs. Several of the ancient markers have been restored and re-installed in the centre of the churchyard by the Clan Armstrong Trust.
The moss-troopers’ settlements can be seen to the east around Mangerton and Whithaugh, where the remains of their towers, farmsteads and fields can still be seen.
Looking over to Mangerton from
During the time of Civil Wars,
some of Cromwell's troops camped nearby Newcastleton and stayed
for several days.
It was mid winter in the year 1649 and, seeking shelter from the bitter weather, they broke into the kirk to use as a barracks.
They broke up the church furniture to fuel their fire, the church records were used as fire lighters and as scrap and the baptism, marriage and other records dating from 1612 to 1643 were completely destroyed.
To the north, only six
miles away, is the massive, brooding frontier castle of Hermitage which
has a long history of wicked deeds.
Go to Hermitage